Iowa Health Resources
Iowa Health Focus - This bimonthly electronic publication is the official newsletter of the Iowa Department of Public Health. It contains news and feature stories about current health-related topics of interest to state and local public health partners, policymakers, members of the health care/medical communities, educators and the public.
American Hospital Directory - You can search for any hospital nationwide and find contact information. Profiles include key characteristics, utilization, and financial information as well as number of beds, accreditation status, and approved programs.
Iowa Compass - Iowa COMPASS, a program of the Center for Disabilities and Development, is is Iowa's free statewide information and referral service for people with disabilities, their families, their service providers, and other members of the community.
Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) Division of Health Facilities - The Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) is a multifaceted regulatory agency charged with protecting the health and safety of Iowans. The agency is responsible for inspecting, licensing and/or certifying health care providers and suppliers, restaurants and grocery stores, social and charitable gambling operations, hotels and motels, and barber and beauty shops.
- Health Care Facilities in Iowa Book - The Health Facilities Division maintains a complete listing (directory) of all entities licensed and/or certified to operate in the State of Iowa. Select: Entities Book on the web site. At this site you can also select "report cards" to research and evaluate Iowa-based healthcare facilities.
- Iowa Department of Public Health - The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) partners with local public health, policymakers, health care providers, business and many others to fulfill our mission of promoting and protecting the health of Iowans.
- Center for Health Workforce Planning - assesses and forecasts health workforce supply and demand
- Healthy Iowans: Iowa's Health Improvement Plan 2012-2016 - This plan focuses on 39 critical health needs and provides a blueprint for addressing them. Healthy Iowans builds on health planning that is already taking place by numerous private and public sector organizations across the state. Iowa's health improvement plan provides a starting point to identify strategies and initiatives that are addressing critical health needs with the understanding that no one plan could reflect everything that is being done to tackle Iowans' needs. Iowa's health improvement plan is intended to be a flexible document that will be updated annually to reflect new and changed strategies and to monitor progress in meeting the plan's goals.
- Iowa Care For Yourself Program - The Care for Yourself program services are part of a national
program that helps reduce risks from breast, cervical, and
cardiovascular health issues. To reduce your risk, you must have
screening tests. The Care for Yourself program has local staff
that can help you schedule: clinical breast exams, mammograms, pelvic
exams, Pap tests, and height and weight measurements, blood pressure,
cholesterol, and glucose tests to check your heart disease risk. In
addition, you may also receive awareness, education, and goal-setting
for making small healthy lifestyle changes that lower your health risks.
Iowa Drug Card - A statewide discount drug card program called the Iowa Drug Card is available to all Iowa residents. The program, which is free to all Iowans, will provide savings of up to 75% on prescription drugs with average savings of around 30%. There are no restrictions to membership, no income restrictions, no age limit and no applications to fill out. Iowa Drug Card is accepted at over 50,000 national and regional pharmacies around the country. Participating pharmacies include Kmart Pharmacy, Walgreens, CVS/Pharmacy Rite Aid, and Hy-Vee, as well as thousands of independent pharmacies.
Iowa Hospital Association - This is a voluntary membership organization that represents hospital and Health system interests.
Iowa Insurance Division - This site provides reliable information for Iowans in making informed choices about insurance.
Iowa public and health sciences libraries - Sponsored by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, this site provides a list of Iowa libraries that provide health information reference services to the public.
Iowa State University Extension - When you need to make decisions that affect your family, community, business or farm, look to Iowa State University Extension. You can rely on ISU Extension for unbiased, research-based information and education to help you make better decisions today and tomorrow.
- County and area offices - Every county in Iowa has an extension office.
- Food Safety - This site gives safety tips for preparing and cooking food to prevent food borne illnesses.
- Family Relationships - Iowa State University Extension gives advice on building strong family relationships.
- Child Care that Works - This site is a child care checklist for parents.
Iowa Substance Abuse Information Center - This site by the Cedar Rapids Public Library collects, organizes, and provides access to information about substance abuse.
LifeLong Links - This site is a connection to Iowa's aging and disability resources. It includes a range of services and supports available to those facing a loss of independence due to aging and disability.
Maharishi University of Management College of Maharishi Vedic Medicine Center for Natural Medicine and Prevention - This university has a natural health program for all students.
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) - SHIIP was created in 1990 to address health insurance questions and problems related to Medicare; Medicare supplement insurance; Medicare managed care and other related issues.
State Library of Iowa - This Web site provides comprehensive information resources for the people of Iowa.
- EBSCOhost - Provides comprehensive access to health related magazine articles and reports, many full-text. EBSCOhost is available to Iowa citizens through their local libraries or the State Library of Iowa Web site. Use this site if you have a State Library card, or go to your local public library to find out about access to EBSCOhost through their Web site.
- Iowa Libraries - This page contains links to web sites of academic, public, and regional Iowa libraries.
Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources - At this site you will find a "list of lists" to comprehensive resources in health-related subjects, published by Hardin Library for the Health Sciences at the University of Iowa.
University of Iowa Consumer Health Resource Guide - This site includes general health web sites as well as links to patient safety & education, nutrition, stds, mental health, addiction and substance abuse.
University of Iowa Public Health Resource Guide - This site takes you to state, federal, and international public health web sites.