Collection Development Tools and Websites
Consumer Health Information and Librarian Roles
Where do you draw the line between making health information available and appearing to offer medical advice? Does your agency have a policy or procedures dealing with these issues? The distinction is significant, both in terms of liability and professional ethics.
Guidelines on agency policies and procedures:
- Guidelines for Providing Medical Information to Consumers - These are suggested guidelines to help reference librarians and other library staff answer consumer health and medical questions from library users.
- The Consumer Health Reference Interview and Ethical Issues - The National Network of Libraries -National Library of Medicine gives tips on how to conduct a consumer health reference interview.
- Nebraska Library Commission Star Reference Manual - Medical Questions. Offers guidelines on handling medical questions in the public library.
- Consumer Health Manual - This site provides This site provides consumer health outreach resources on evaluating health websites, health literacy, consumer health information in many language resources, professional development for consumer health, the consumer health reference interview and ethical issues, health information partnerships and finding consumer health materials in Spanish.
is a web-based manual containing current, authoritative chapters on planning, videos, evaluation, consumer health information on the WWW, databases and CD ROMs, library promotion, ethics, health literacy, materials readability, developing "hot topics" fact sheets, Spanish materials, cancer titles, consumer health for children, library web sites, and web page design.
National Library of Medicine
- National Library of Medicine Gateway - The NLM Gateway is a Web-based system that lets users search simultaneously in multiple database systems at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM).
- Services for Librarians - The National Library of Medicine Greater Midwest Region web site has information for librarians providing consumer health information.
- PubMed Tutorial - This is a web-based learning program that will show you how to search PubMed®, the National Library of Medicine (NLM®) journal literature search system.
State Library of Iowa
State Library of Iowa
- Iowa Consumer Health Libraries - This is a contact list of health sciences libraries in Iowa, many of which offer library services to the general public.
- Basic Medical Library Management - This National Network of Libraries web site is for both professional and non-professional librarians new to health or hospital libraries. It seeks to provide instant access to quality resources which will help the medical librarian meet the needs of the patron.
- How Do You Set Up and Run a Consumer Health Library? - The Consumer and Patient Health Information Section of the Medical Library Association sponsors this page on the basics of consumer health library planning, budgeting, staffing, collection development, reference services, theory,and bibliography.
Tools for Educating Staff and Patrons
Feb 20, 2013 03:16 PM