About Online Health Information
1. locate printed information from national, state, regional, and local resources
2. connect with people—agencies, organizations, and services in Iowa that can help meet your health information needs.
Resources available from HealthInfoIowa have been designed to meet the diverse needs of people in Iowa. You can use HealthInfoIowa to find:
- Health information resources located in Iowa
- General health information
- Resources for healthcare providers, public health workers and professionals
- Resources for librarians
- Resources for students
- If you have personal health concerns, information found over the Web may be educational. But it cannot substitute for medical advice from a licensed healthcare provider who knows you, your medical history, and your medications. HealthInfoIowa's disclaimer should be considered when using information on our site:
HealthInfoIowa is designed as an education resource for Iowa residents. We do not endorse and are not responsible for information found at sites to which we link. Please consult your personal physician or other healthcare professional for issues related to your own health.
For ideas on making good use of information you find, see:
- Communicating with Your Doctor
- Sharing Online Information with Your Healthcare Provider
- Talking with Your Doctor: A Guide for Older People
- Tips for Talking to Your Doctor
- Dictionary of Common Medical Terms
- Next Step After Your Diagnosis: Finding Information and Support
Evaluating online health information
Once you click beyond HealthInfoIowa, you move into uncharted territory. HealthInfoIowa does not control the information on other sites. You can do your own test for reliability and credibility by using the Health on the Net Site-Checker, a short, interactive questionnaire.
Other useful evaluation tools:
- Discern Online: Quality Criteria for Consumer Health Information
- MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
- Evaluating Information Found on the Internet
- Evaluation of Information Services
- A User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web
- Quackwatch: Your Guide to Health Fraud, Quackery, and Intelligent Decisions
- How to Spot Health Fraud
- Buying Prescription Medicines Online: A Consumer Safety Guide
Guarding your privacy Some websites collect information about you:
- Be cautious!
- Look for a privacy statement spelling out the type of information that might be collected during your visit to that website and how it will be used (see the HealthInfoIowa privacy statement).
- Read TRUSTe's Privacy Protection Guidelines
Click on "tutorials" below for additional information on evaluating and locating reliable health information.
Click here for tutorials
Please give us your comments
Please send comments about our Web site to Pam Rees, State Medical Librarian at the State Library of Iowa. Click here
to contact Pam.